Sunday, May 17, 2009

Tandem Bikes and Zoos

Well, today is my 10 mo. anniversary. It’s hard to believe that I have already been married 10 months and I can still clearly remember the feeling of thinking I would never get married. Time goes by so fast!!! Jason has been saying lately, “It would be so different to be single right now. It’s such a different life.”

Jason wants you to know that I would have written this earlier but he has been quite the chatterbox in telling me lots of stories from his mission and from junior high. I like to go on real walks, but sometimes he just likes to go on walks down memory lane. He gets really excited about it and I think we would be in Korea right now if I could speak the language at all. ☺

Today has been a pretty mellow day. Jason has had his hands full with his church responsibilities. I think he was doing three people’s callings, and when two of them are ward clerk and executive secretary, he was really busy. So busy in fact that he missed both Sunday School and Priesthood today trying to help the Bishop out. I tried out a modified recipe of some peanut butter chocolate chip cookies today and they turned out pretty well.

Yesterday Jason and I went out on more of an official date. Jason has been noticing my excitement over the people riding tandem bikes lately, so we rented one for the day and rode out to Utah Lake from our house. It was a lot trickier that it looks. We didn’t have any gears and to use the brakes, we had to back pedal, just like my good old red banana seat bike when I was little. Anyway, I first tried sitting in the back and letting Jason steer, but I must admit it was kind of wobbly and a little unnerving to not be able to see or steer. I convinced him to let me be in front and that’s how we stayed for most of the journey. Somewhere along the way I decided our bike riding adventure was a good metaphor for our marriage; Jason provides the power and I give us direction. ☺ He thought that was really funny.

We stopped by a park on the way back and had a picnic lunch and played some Frisbee. The only hitch in our whole date was when Jason noticed his back getting wet about 15 minutes into our ride. As we rode across a river on a bridge he asked, “Are you getting wet?” I said “no” and that was when we realized that our brand new camel backpack had sprung a leak. The leak actually turned into the valve breaking off completely from the bag of water so we had to dump out the rest of the water. Neither of us had even taken a single sip. How disappointing! Before we turned it in that night, we took one last spin on the bike and got some ice cream shakes.

As both Mom and Kristilyn mentioned I went to the zoo with Grant, James and Kristilyn on Monday. It was a perfect day as far as the weather was concerned, unfortunately, everyone else thought so too and it was filled with many, many school kids, and other kids with matching shirts and tags, and possible leashes. ☺ Probably one of the funniest sights at the zoo was James and Grant pushing their own strollers most of the way through the park, especially when we went downhill at one part and James’ stroller got away from him and he chased after it until it crashed into the curb at the bottom and dumped out the precious cargo of his red jacket. He was pretty upset that it got away from him, so we pushed it back up the hill so he could push it back down again by himself.

I was also able to visit with Mom and Dad for a while I was in Salt Lake and that was a lot of fun as well.

Last Saturday Jason and I went with Keith and Kim and Kim’s family to the Oquirrah Mountain Temple Open House. It is a beautiful temple and it was neat to have our group led by Elder Kikuchi. He has such a strong testimony of the gospel and of the Savior and his love for us. That was probably one of my favorite parts.

After the open house we went back to Keith and Kim’s and played hide and seek with Talisa and Ping Pong and Guitar Hero with Keith and Kim. Keith even taught me how to put some spin on the ball, but I’ll need to practice it a lot more if I don’t want to forget.

Those have been our most exciting events in the last couple of weeks. Other than that, we mostly spend our time working, and when we’re not working we play a lot of games together. The game of the last two weeks has been “Lost Cities” which is a 2 player card game given to us by Katrina and Neal (Thanks guys!). It only takes about 15 minutes a game, but it’s not unusual for us to play 2-3 games a day if we have time. It’s really fun! I have also been doing a lot of reading and finished the second book in the Kingdom and the Crown series by Gerald Lund. It’s so nice to be able to read fiction books after reading lots and lots of non-fiction stuff for months and months.

Well, I think that covers most of the big events from us. We’re excited to see Mike and Desi and Melody and Brandon this next weekend and hope that Brandon and Jason’s brother Tim had a terrific birthday last week and that Desi will have a great one this week! We are also very grateful that Anna is doing better and that Katrina, Neal, and Anna are home from the hospital. Our thoughts and prayers have definitely focused on you the last couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment