Sunday, June 7, 2009

June 7

Last Tuesday Jason and I decided to try a new exercise routine. Usually when I want to exercise Jason will come run or bike with me or something. The problem is that what is “exercise” for me not even “breaking a sweat” for him. He never complains about it because he generally just likes being with me, but for some reason it’s hard not to feel bad when I’m huffing and puffing and he’s going around me in circles. Anyway, we decided to try something new, I would ride the one bike we have and he would run. Now, if we’re going on flat ground there’s no contest who would win, but going uphill is another story. So we went up to the MTC from our apartment (probably about 4-5 miles round trip), Jason running and me riding the bike. It’s pretty much all uphill and it was just as I suspected, we were pretty much going at the same speed. Granted on the way down I had to slow down just a little, but Jason ran all the way there and back again without stopping. And you know what, the next day he had sore muscles. That doesn’t happen very often and he didn’t even know what sore muscles really felt like for the first 6 mo. of our marriage! I’m glad I could introduce him back to a “real” workout again. I won’t even mention the fact that when we got back to our apartment he started hopping up and down the stairs on one leg because he said “his muscles didn’t get a very good workout.” All I can say is that I hope our children inherit his physical skills and ability.

Wednesday at institute was definitely a surprise for us. We’ve been looking around to find an institute to go to since Jason has Bishopric meeting on the night our stake institute meets. I looked on-line and found a contact number for our area. I made Jason call, and the person on the phone said that the information on-line was correct and invited us to come, so we headed over there and were very surprised to find that in was an institute program especially for young adults with special needs. Needless to say that our institute experience was quite different from the one we anticipated; but I still learned a lot about Heber J. Grant and I will never forget how helpful and kind everyone was, nor will I forget the enthusiastic leading of the opening and closing hymn, or the spiritual thought about the movie “Titanic.” ☺

Thursday I helped out a sister that I visit teach by watching her 18 mo. old while she and her husband went out to eat and shopping. The little girl Emily slept for the first two hours, but when she woke up we played with almost every toy, read almost every book, and went in almost every room of the apartment in about an hour and half. I was starting to wonder what moms do with one and half year olds every day if I had already done it all in an hour and a half when her parents came home and I didn’t have to worry about it anymore.

Friday Jason and I babysat Jeff and Sally’s three kids and then later Steve and Kirsten dropped off Ben as well. It went really well minus the crying babies, but it just gives us good practice for being parents right?

Saturday morning I took the Praxis II Principles of Learning and Teaching exam at BYU. It’s a standardized test given by ETS and required for teachers getting their permanent license. It also happens to mostly be based off the class that I teach, Educational Psychology. So, since I have to take the test if I ever want to go back to teaching and I working right now to help revamp the course to better prepare the students to take the test, I thought I would take advantage of the opportunity to count my study and preparation hours as work hours too and get paid for it. The test went pretty well and hopefully I scored well too.

That night Jason and I went to meet our new three-week-old niece Kira Rogers in Riverton. She is really cute and very fun to hold. It’s hard to believe how small she is!



Jason and our niece Kira

No comments:

Post a Comment