Saturday, June 5, 2010

A Sucessful Defense


Well, I’m happy to report that I passed the oral defense of my master’s development project. I was a little nervous about it, but it went really well, and I passed with very minor revisions. Jason, Kristilyn, Anne Makin, and my supervisor Larry Seawright were all there to support me. At first I was a little nervous to have people there, but now that it’s over, I was actually really glad that they came to support me. It’s kind of hard to believe that it’s almost over. These last two years have gone by very quickly, and I’m not sure if I’m ready to let go of being a BYU student permanently. Even when I was teaching 3rd grade, I still lived in Provo, and when people would ask if I was a student at BYU, I would actually tell them yes half the time before I remembered that I really wasn’t anymore. Anyway, I’ve identified myself with BYU for so many years now that it’s hard to imagine it any other way. I have a feeling that it’s going to be hard for me to let go of that and try to find something else by which to define myself.

Reflecting back on the last two years I must admit that I have grown a lot in how I view education, the world, and myself. I feel that I have conquered a mountain of sorts. A few years ago, a master’s degree seemed so far out of my reach, and yet although the journey has not been easy, I suddenly find myself nearing the top of the climb. The unexpected part comes in that while I am enjoying the view from the top of this most recent mountain, I find myself still dissatisfied and looking around for another mountain to climb. Perhaps it is in the climbing that I feel that I am progressing, or perhaps without a mountain I lose my sense of purpose. I don’t really know, but before I start another mountain climbing adventure, I want to gratefully recognize the influence of many professors, friends, and family members—and also ultimately the Lord for blessing me with the gifts and talents that make this accomplishment possible. My only hope now, is that I will be blessed with eyes to see how I can use what I have gained to bless the lives of others. For in being a teacher, I recognize there is little value in knowledge and skill unless it is shared.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!! What an accomplishment! We are so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete