Sunday, September 19, 2010

Random happenings plus a trip to Dallas

So, a lot has happened the last couple of weeks, but I'm not even going to report it in any kind of order, so enjoy the randomness.

I found out about a week ago that I get to go on a business trip next week to Dallas, TX. It's for three days and I'll be there with the Senior Design Lead who is assigned to do a project that involves doing some interviews and focus groups for a company. I'm not officially assigned to the project, but I am not as busy with projects as some others, so I get to go. I'm kind of excited though because it sounds like they're treating us really well with a fancy hotel and meals and all. I'm not used to being treated to all this stuff by businesses--I guess that because I'm the product of the educational system, not the business sector. Work has been kind of slow lately, mostly because I'm ahead on the project I'm working on and have run out of things to work on. I'm learning about how much having no work can be a trial for me. I'm sure there won't be many times in life that I'll have to deal with that. :)

Speaking of trials, Jason is still doing well with seminary. He is trying to learn how to both teach and entertain and even though he spends hours and hours preparing, he still has good days and hard days. He was really excited this week to find out that some of the high school basketball team comes over and plays with the Junior High faculty on Friday afternoons and so he went to play with them for the first time on Friday. He said he really liked it because it was "his style" of basketball. I translate that to mean that the players are actually decent players who know how to do plays and stuff like that. I'm glad that he will get some exercise time that will keep him in shape. He goes running with me a couple times a week, but he usually stays by me if we run at night and I don't know if he even breaks a sweat. :)

We've tried to take advantage of the amazing weather we've had the last two weekends. Last Saturday we actually cleaned the church, washed both of our cars plus Rita's car, and waxed my car. I attended a family bridal shower for my cousin's daughter with my mom and sister and that was fun. Yesterday, after cleaning our apartment, we hiked to Donut Falls. Jason had never been before and it was a fun walk down memory lane for me. It's been a few years since I last went but the trail hasn't changed much even though a rock fall has changed the waterfall part quite a bit. The changing color of leaves in the canyons was beautiful and it was such a beautiful day. The sad part was that a boy had just fallen through the hole of the falls about 30 minutes before we got there and had dislocated his hip. We saw a lot of firemen and emergency help hike up the falls and lower him down in a stretcher. It was quite the drama. We felt like we were watching a movie as we sat there on a rock eating our picnic lunch and watching the emergency people try to get this boy down the falls.

Another happening was that Jason lost his wedding ring last week. He lost is some time Saturday and noticed it on Sunday when he didn't have it to wear to church. He look quite a bit on Sunday and Monday, but didn't find it. He thought he might have left it at the temple and we called and went there to check with no luck. Then yesterday we decided to look more diligently. We prayed and then found it about 5 minutes later. Apparently it had fallen into some gift boxes when I was wrapping a gift last week. I'm glad we found it then because I don't think we would have come across is again for many months.

We were sustained last week as members of the activities committee. Neither of us has ever been on any type of activities committee before, so it's a new experience for us. Jason claims it's not his forte, but it looks like he's going to get some learning experiences. Hopefully it won't be too painful. :)

We're grateful for all the yummy meals we've been enjoying with people lately. Two weeks ago  Boyd and Rita, our landlords, invited us over for dinner and treated us to barbeque ribs and some Venezuelan food since Rita is from Venezuela. It was delicious. Last Sunday we ate a delicious dinner at  Jason's parents' house for a family FHE and watched the CES fireside. Monday my parents came and visited me at my work during lunch time since they are just four blocks away. And tonight my old roommate Sara Moulton came over for dinner and peach cobbler. We like visitors and hopefully can keep arranging more visits from friends and family to our new apartment.

One last random thing. Last night Jason and I went to a Stake adult dinner thing and ended up participating and helping more than most of the long-time members of the Stake. We got there early and helped set up, we participated in a "minute to win it" game, starred in a ward skit, and then stayed afterwards to help clean up. We were probably one of the youngest couples there with an average age of 50+. I'm sure the older members appreciated the help and energy of us young whipper-snappers.:) Oh, and did I mention that we actually won the game? We had to keep a feather in the air by hitting it with our hands longer than the other teams and we won. They rewarded us with the Golden Feather Award--very prestigious I'm sure. :)

Well, that's probably enough news for today. Thanks for hanging in there to read it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment