Sunday, March 27, 2011

An Interesting Sunday

I think I'm coming down with Spring Fever. I have all the symptoms: wishing for sunny, warm weather, wanting to be outside more, getting tired of the daily work routine, and a seeming need to get away for a vacation. Maybe I just need a good General Conference to lighten my load since I won't get any vacation until the end of May. I really do look forward to Conference weekend, and this weekend is no exception.

My last couple of weeks have been filled with Road show. I really enjoy the co-director I work with and most of the youth are really great. We had our first two practices this week--two hours on Tuesday and 3 hours on Saturday, with smaller group practices inbetween. It's coming together but we still have quite a ways to go.

Today was kind of an unusual Sunday. First, I was asked to teach Singing Time in Primary. I haven't been in a real Primary since I was in Primary as a child. The normal chorister had lots of great props and suggestions which made preparing very easy. The children and the pianist were great helpers and singers. Unfortunately, my pictures and words got mixed up for a new (and unfamiliar to me) song that I was teaching them. I got a little flustered, but things worked out okay in the end.

Second, when I got Sunday School I realized that I had forgotten my scriptures at home. I seriously can't remember the last time I forgot to bring my scriptures to church, but it's been well over ten years for sure. I had a hard time concentrating since I was reliving my Singing Time experience in my head, and not having scriptures to follow along didn't help.

Finally, when I got to Sacrament Meeting, the scheduled pianist wasn't there and the Sacrament Meeting chorister kindly passed the word on to the frazzled bishopric member that I played the piano. He came right up to me and asked if I would play, which I did. I asked to change the Sacrament hymn to No. 169, but I left the others as they were (No. 19, 21). I did fine on the first two, but had to sight read a little more on the third one that I wasn't as familiar with. Overall it went fine, just an unexpected ending to an interesting day. Our landlord commented to Jason afterward, "I didn't know your wife had this hidden talent. Where does she practice?" He answered, "That's the amazing thing, she doesn't." Now I definitely think I get a lot of help when I play in church, and I hope that the "not practicing" part isn't permanent. I really miss playing the piano and wish I could have one. It's such a relaxing and satisfying thing to do.

3 comments:

  1. Wow-- you've got all the talents to fill in where you're needed! That's awesome!!!! Having just started working in primary myself, I think the job of singing time chorister would be hard!! :) Way to go-- staying busy!!! Also-- are you directing a road show? Wow!!! Have a great, great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you did awesome. I'm primary chorister in our ward and even after 18 months I still get frazzled :)

    ReplyDelete