Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day and Business Trips

I am so grateful for good fathers, and in particular my father. He is such a good, kind, honest, hard working, and loving father. Not everyone is blessed with a father like mine, but I'm so grateful to have had that example growing up so that I would know how important it was to marry a good man like him. I know Jason will be a great father too some day.

I flew to a project kickoff in Milwaukee on Thursday. We had a day-long meeting Friday most of which I was responsible for. I needed to get a lot of information from them to create a design document for their project. I had lots of questions for us to discuss, but I learned very quickly that what I thought to be simple questions with simple answers were not very simple and they had a hard time giving me direct answers. We ended up talking around the points I needed to get, so I hope I'll have enough info. to create a solid design. They are paying a lot of money for this project and I have the heavy responsibility in most respects of making sure they get what they paid for. Our flights were delayed coming home so I didn't get home until 2:00 in the morning.

Here are a few pros and cons of business trips:
Pros:
  • Eating out a lot and having the company pay for the food
  • Visiting new places
  • Sleeping in nice hotels with very comfortable beds
  • Having other people make your bed and clean up the room
  • Time to read good books on the plane
Cons:
  • Not getting to come home at night and consequently having to work longer hours per day
  • Delayed flights and long hours of travel
  • Not having as much time to do what I want to in the evenings
  • Not being with Jason
  • More stress at being in charge of meetings with VIPs in the company and needing to make a good impression

1 comment:

  1. It's always great when the company pays for food (only because I love to eat out, and it's nice to not have to pay for it! :) You were right by us! Too bad you weren't here a little longer-- we could've gotten together! Glad you're home safe and sound, though! (and we'll see you guys soon!)

    ReplyDelete