Sunday, July 10, 2011

Summer Days

I must admit that it has been a little more difficult for me to have to work full-time during the summer than I anticipated. Having been a teacher or student for the last several years has allowed me a flexible schedule to enjoy the good weather and summer activities. This year I continue to work 8:00-5:00. Work, work, work, that's all I do. It's hard to believe we're already half-way through July. What happened to first half of the year?

Fortunately I can still do some things in the evenings and weekends. For example, Friday we went to Provo to hang out with some friends from our married student ward that are moving in a month. We ate Brick Oven Pizza and played some Frisbee golf before coming home for Root Beer floats and a few games. We wish them luck in Texas!

Saturday we attended the temple in the morning, visited Grandpa Burningham, took care of some errands, and then had a delicious dinner at Jason's parents' home before going to Alpine Community Theater's performance of Cinderella with Steve and Kirsten (here visiting for a couple of weeks), Chelsey and Mike, and Jason's parents. The play was a Rodgers and Hammerstein version and showcased some talented actors and singers that made it a fun evening.

Another activity we had this week included babysitting our neighbor's three girls for an evening. We ate pizza for dinner, cleaned up the house a little, and played three games--one selected by each of the three girls--before putting them to bed. While playing the game of Life the 4-year-old asked me if Jason and I were married. When I answered that yes we were she asked, "Where are your kids?" I told her they were still in heaven. That must have satisfied her because she just said "Oh" and turned back to the game.

Wednesday we went to institute and listened to Joseph Grenny speak about agency and our power to change. He related a social science laboratory study to related gospel principles and how they affect our ability to make wise decisions. It was well-done and helped me think about agency in a new way.

No comments:

Post a Comment