Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Motherhood 101

So I spent 3 1/2 days last week taking care of my two adorable nieces, ages 4 and 1, while my brother and sister-in-law took a cruise to the Bahamas. They needed a break from being parents, and I'm very willing to practice the art of motherhood. After three-and-a-half days, I don't know who learned more, my nieces or me. Here are a few of the lessons we learned:

Kira learned
  • she'll survive if her parents are gone for a week
  • how to wrap her aunt around her little finger with her adorable smile

Talisa learned
  • that her aunt and uncle can be really gullible
  • a few new places to hide for Hide-n-Seek
  • the phrase "ready or not, ye shall be caught"
  • that when her aunt says 'no,' she means no, even if the result is a 20-min. tantrum
I learned
  • that it's nearly impossible to get "work" done when being a mother
  • that it's common for mothers to not eat much during meal times, or have delayed meal times when feeding children
  • that nap times and an early bed time are a must
  • that although TV shouldn't be used as a babysitter, it sure does help have a few minutes to get myself ready for the day
  • a new way to warm up milk
  • which battles are worth fighting a 4-yr-old for
  • when two little girls are bathing at the same time, there's a good possibility you'll end up wet
  • the importance of fathers taking the kids for a while at night when they get home so the mother gets some personal time
  • how nice it is to live close to family while being a mother!

2 comments:

  1. ...and you learned that you will be an awesome MOM when the time comes. Hopefully soon...or maybe you need a vacation too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a good laugh reading this! You did such a great job! Talisa talks about you every day! I agree with what Desi said above to! You will be such a great mom! Thanks SO much for watching the girls for us so we could get away! You guys are great!

    ReplyDelete