Friday morning we had the opportunity to attend the Provo Temple with a group of seminary and institute teachers. We met before in one of the meeting rooms and the Provo Temple President, Pres. Merrill J. Bateman came and spoke to us for about 45 minutes. It was really interesting and I learned new things about the temple that I didn't know. He even opened it up at the end for a short question and answer session which was also very interesting and a great opportunity. I'll have to tell you about it in the temple sometime. :)
That morning as I was getting ready to go to the temple, I opened my contact lens case to put in my contacts for the day and when I opened up the left side, there was nothing in it. In my 13 years of wearing contacts, that has never happened to me. I remember putting it in the night before, but in the morning, it was gone. It's hard to know where to look for it when that's the case. Unfortunately, since I wear gas permeable contacts and not soft lenses, I couldn't just open up a new package of lenses. I've actually had those lens for about four years, so I'll have to go in for an eye exam and order new ones. That's another thing I'm trying to take care of before we move. :) Of course trials also accompany the blessings, and although I don't consider this a huge trial, it has been somewhat inconvenient.
A huge blessing came earlier in the week however. Monday night I got a call from Allen Communication Learning Services in Salt Lake to come in for a second interview on Tuesday. I went in and met with the Director of Instructional Design and the Chief Learning Officer. The interview went well and they were very interested with the work I've done with my master's project simulation. At the end of interview they said they would let me know in the next day or two and might invite me to come in for a panel discussion interview. Unexpectedly I got a call that night from them offering me a job. They sent an email that night with the details and I accepted the offer the next day.
It really is a blessing to be offered such a good job. I have interviewed four times with principals for teaching positions and had several other offers for teaching interviews, but things just kept not quite working out. I've had enough experience as an instructional designer to think that it's something that I excel at and am interested in, but not enough that I feel really comfortable or confident doing it, especially in a business setting. So, I am somewhat nervous but grateful for the opportunity. The pay is more generous than I expected and because they offered me a full-time position I'll be able to get benefits for both Jason and I while he completes his student teaching. Additionally, it could turn into a convenient part-time job to have once we have children if it's needed. The shock is finally starting to wear off and Jason and I are busy finishing up what we need to here at BYU before we move and I start work on Aug. 18th.
Friday night I also convinced Jason that we should hike the Y before we leave. We didn't leave our apartment until after 8:30pm so we hiked up the trail during sunset and reached the Y about dusk. I'm always surprised at how STEEP that trail is! They might as well put a staircase right up the mountain side. It was kind of windy that night so a lot of the pictures didn't turn out, but you can see in these that I'm wearing my glasses since I lost my contact.
| You can see the Provo Temple on the far right side which can kind of orient you. |
| The last time we hiked the Y was right before we got engaged. |

Way to go on your job, Julie! You'll do great! I love the pictures you took on your hike-- so beautiful! We love you guys and are very excited for the adventure all these changes will bring! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy for you that you've been offered/and accepted a good job! Good luck!
ReplyDelete