Sunday, November 14, 2010

Work and Weekends

I haven't written for a couple weeks which means this post will be a collection of random thoughts and happenings.

Work has been pretty stressful and busy the last week and a half. I've put in some extra time at work, but I'm trying to keep it to a minimum. We delivered a script review for the first module of the parenting skills training that I'm working on. There was a miscommunication about the expectations of how far along the project should be and my project manager started looking through the course about 6 hrs. before I was ready. Then she got concerned it wouldn't be done on time because she had scheduled a Quality Control check a day early and the whole thing got blown out of proportion. I ended up getting it done in time for the QC and we were two hours early on the delivery and I thought that would be the end of it. Unfortunately, even though the course script was well done, it wasn't good enough for the client who ended up nit-picking it and causing a lot more stress and grief. Fortunately the project manager was on my side for that, but trying to make the corrections and meet the demands of their mixed messages is difficult. It undermines my confidence of designing because I worry that nothing I do will be good enough for them. Anyway, that's a simplified version of a complicated mess, but I'm hoping that everything will at least smooth itself over since I'll be designing about 28 more modules for this client in the coming six months.

It's been a little strange to have the sun go down so early now. I used to drive to work at sunrise, and now I drive homeat sunset. It makes me tired earlier in the evening so sometimes I go to bed at about 9:30 or 10:00 when Jason goes to bed. We usually go to bed about the same time, but then he gets up three hours before me! The latest news with seminary is that Jason is less and less keen on the idea of doing this for the rest of his life. He still won't give a final answer on the subject but he has started looking into other job options if that means anything.

Speaking of seminary though, Jason and I went to the Lehi Junior High production of Peter Pan on Friday night. We went with low expectations for a junior high play but were both surprised by a really great rendition of the play. The music was fun, the acting was impressive for the age group, the scenery was really well done, and the whole production went really smoothly and not too long. Overall we both really enjoyed it and Jason had fun seeing many of his seminary students both in the play and in the audience. It's funny because the 9th graders get really excited to see "Brother Burningham" and come up to say hi, but then they get embarrassed or shy and don't know what to say next.

Last weekend we also went to a really nice Holiday Seminary dinner at UVU. They had a meeting with the Utah County North area at the institute building where they highlighted a really cool talk byElder Maxwell called "In Him All Things Hold Together" and then we went to the ballroom afterward for a nice dinner.

This weekend was also our Stake Conference. The meetings were both good, but unfortunately it seems like they should have been better attended. For the adult session last night, we filled up the sacrament room area put three rows into the overflow. Maybe that's normal, but we would have twice that many in the BYU student stakes at least. For this morning's session we sat by our friends the Simmons. Brandon is the Elder Quorum President and Jason home teaches their family. I actually went with him last time since his companion couldn't go and they are a really nice family. They have three really cute daughters and I have apparently become best friends with the middle daughter Lynaea who is 5 yrs. old. She sat on my lap for about 1 1/2 hrs. or the 2 hr. meeting and was really well behaved. She was really cuddly and it was fun to have her sit with me. At one point she randomly said, "I like being with you." I loved it!

The funniest part of Stake Conference was watching an assisted living center bus drive a load of elderly members literally across the street back to the center. I can see why it would be necessary, but it was still kind of funny. The name of the center is the South Towne Ranch where Grandpa Rasband lived for about a year. I didn't know that I moved into his old stake.

After the adult session of Stake Conference last night I think I went a little stir crazy and ended up starting a pillow fight with Jason that night and then convincing him to play Hide and Seek in the dark. It was actually pretty fun, and then we got distracted trying to fit into small places in our apartment, like under our computer desk and under the bathroom sink. Jason didn't think it was possible tofit under the sink, but I provedhim wrong, and then ofcourse he had to try it too. :)



2 comments: