Thursday, May 15, 2014

May update

The view driving into Cincinnati, Ohio from Kentucky

I keep meaning to get this update written, but life keeps getting in the way. I just wanted to write about a few interesting happenings.
Our Easter basket

Our celebration of Easter was pretty low-key, although I really like the LDS Church's social media campaign #BecauseofHim. All the video messages, etc. helped us focus much more on Christ's life this year. I enjoyed my favorite Easter candy, Cadbury eggs and jellybeans, and Ethan has been enjoying sucking, biting, and throwing Easter eggs for the last several weeks. :)

Colsen being silly in the rain
Mother's Day included even more mothering than usual. Jason and I stayed with 3 children in our ward for about 24 hours while their parents were on a trip. Ages 8, 6, and 2, the kids were well behaved and fun to be around. Ethan enjoyed having different scenery and different toys to play with. He took naps and slept well at night, so we're crossing our fingers for the same results on our trip to D.C.

I had an interesting "first" experience a couple weeks ago. I bought some fresh salmon, and for the first time in my life, I cooked fish for dinner! I'm not generally a seafood lover and I really dislike the smell of seafood, but this salmon was amazing with no fishy smell! It tasted so yummy, I may have to try it again sometime.

One change that has made things a little easier lately is that Jason was released from the Young Men's and called as the Ward Clerk. Although this means more meetings for him, it also means Jason can take Ethan on Wednesday nights and during class on Sundays when I teach in Young Women's, which will be super helpful!

Happy Mother's Day!
Other than that, we're busy with the usual things...shopping, laundry, library visits, cooking, feeding and going out with missionaries, fellowshipping, visiting teaching, home teaching, book clubs, and doctor's appointments. Fortunately the weather has been really great, so we've also been able to go for walks at the park near our condo. Walking in the park is probably one of my favorite things to do. It's so quiet and beautiful in the mornings. I love it!
I love these two guys!!


Finally, if you're still reading, here's a neat experience I had a few weeks ago...


Saturday morning I felt prompted to write a note to a beehive, Lucy, in our YW that has been struggling. It was a little less busy today and I found some time to write a letter on a card for her. While I was writing the note, I felt prompted to give her a copy of one of my favorite picture books. I just happened to have an extra copy of it on my bookshelf in my room. I quickly wrapped up the book and put the card on the front.

I considered mailing it, but I wanted her to have it as soon as possible and I didn't want to bother with the post office since I was now including the book. I had the feeling that I needed to get it to her that day. I told Jason about it and suggested that we stop by her house on the way back from our big grocery trip in Cincinnati. He agreed. So after our 2 1/2 hour grocery trip, we took an extra 20 minutes to drive to Lucy’s house to deliver the package. Lucy's mom happened to be out in the front yard with their dog and approached us as we pulled into the driveway. I got out of the car and handed her mom the package and told her it was for Lucy. She immediately started crying and thanking me. I told her I just felt inspired to bring it.

A few minutes later as we were driving home I received a text message from Lucy's mom. It said: "Wow. Lucy squealed in delight at the book. I had never heard of it but Lucy said, 'no way. I have always wanted this book but I didn't know how to describe it to you!!' I am thrilled. So we have a date to read it together tonight before bed. Just can't thank you enough for caring. The letter was so beautiful and spot on too Julie. You really were inspired."

It was difficult to hold back tears as I read that text message and knew that the Lord knew and loved Lucy and let me be his messenger to deliver His love. I'm so grateful that I followed the prompting and could be part of that little love note from heaven for Lucy.

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story. It made me cry. What was the name of the book?
    Love,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was "You Are Special" by Max Lucado. Such a great book!

      Delete
  2. Wow- what an amazing experience. You are a wonderful example of being the Lord's hands. Thank you for sharing! And Ethan sure looks adorable-- he's getting so big!

    ReplyDelete